This week we are highlighting the animated short musical film and original song “Inside Voice” created by Lauren Worsham & Kyle Jarrow, which is about a little girl who discovers how to fight the despair and make her way back to hope. Our Literary Intern, Charlene, curated a playlist inspired by “Inside Voice” that spans the genres of soul, pop, and R&B, begins with the grief and longing of this time of pandemic and protest, then shifts slowly into songs about hope, love, and connection. You can check out the playlist on Spotify and Apple Music, or view the songs below. The Spotify version is collaborative, so feel free to directly add the songs to the playlist that have been getting you through quarantine!
- Quarantine Queen by Sinead Harnett
- Where Do We Go by Solange
- What’s Going On? by Marvin Gaye
- Time (feat. Ariana Grande) by Childish Gambino
- Pink + White by Frank Ocean
- Outside by 6lack
- By Your Side by Sade
- Send One Your Love by Stevie Wonder
- Altadena by Kelela
- One Call Away by Charlie Puth
- Everything is Everything by Ms. Lauryn Hill
- Here Comes the Sun by Nina Simone
- Lovely Day by Bill Withers
Charlene Adhiambo is The Play Company’s current Literary Intern. She hails from Atlanta, Georgia by way of Nairobi, Kenya. You can reach her at firstname.lastname@example.org.